Here is the scoop:
How many of you have started a series, loved it and for some reason never continued? Who here is sick and tired of getting the judgey face because you haven’t read “that” series yet? How often have you said “I really want to read that series!” only to not even glance at it in the bookstore? By a show of hands how many of you have added an entire series to your Goodreads TBR shelf more than 3 months ago and STILL haven’t started yet?! The 2014 Series Challenge is your chance to take all those empty promises and make them real. This is a challenge for YOU, so you’ll set your pace and decide what you will read but I do have a few guidelines:
- You have to FINISH the series
- If the series isn’t complete yet, or will not be completed before December 1st, 2014 read up to the most recent book in said series.
- Novellas count, but are optional.
- HAVE fun
- If you decide to break up with a series after book one, it does not count!
- You do not have to START the series in 2014, you just have to FINISH it in 2014
- Series that you started prior to 2014 are fine as long as you FINISH the series in 2014
- The series has to have at least 2 books out prior to December 1st, 2014
- Proof that you finished the book is required. It could be a full review, a mini review, or a rating with a few lines.
- DNF’s do not count. PERIOD.
And thanks to Anya of On Starships and Dragonwings I’m going to sweeten the pot for you folks. Even though finishing a series is motivation enough for some of you, I know that 4 months in a lot of you will quit, and because of that I am implementing a badge system:
If you complete 1-3 series you will earn the Bronze Badge. Those who earn this badge will be entered into a giveaway for a $5 gift-card to Amazon, Barnes & Noble, or Kobo at the end of year
If you complete 4-6 series you will earn the Silver Badge. Those who earn this badge will be entered into a giveaway for a book of their choice from The Book Depository, Amazon, Barnes & Noble or Kobo, valued at no more than $15 dollars.
If you complete 7-11 series you will earn the Gold Badge. Those who earn this badge will be entered into a giveaway for a $20 gift card to Amazon, Barnes & Noble or Kobo.
If you complete 12 OR more series you will earn the Platinum Badge. Those who earn this badge will be entered into a giveaway for a chance to win a box (3-5) of books. Since December is a ways away I don’t know what will be in the box yet. But there definitely will be an ARC…. or 3. HOWEVER I am not made of money so, if the Platinum winner is international they will win a $30 gift card to Amazon.
It is that wonderful time of year to choose my reading challenges for the year and write up all of the corresponding posts to get myself officially signed up. I love the feeling of a New Year as it always feels like a fresh start and clean slate to start everything fresh. This certainly holds true for my reading and my love of books as well. I love challenging myself to read more! Therefore, I am officially going to sign up for 6 reading challenges in 2014 . . . for fun and more fun!
This Finish the Series Challenge is so appropriate for me given my love of cozy mystery series (many of which I have started and never finished) and of course for the overall state of my bookshelves 🙂
I am going to challenge myself to the Bronze Badge Status, with the hope of finishing 3 series!
Avery Aames (Cheese Shop Mystery)
3. Clobbered by Camembert
4. To Brie or Not to Brie
5. Days of wine & Roquefort (comes out in 2014)
Jenn McKinlay (Cupcake Bakery Mystery)
4. Red Velvet Revenge
5. Going, Going, Ganache
6. Sugar & Iced (comes out in 2014)
Jenn McKinlay (Library Lover’s Mystery)
3. Book, Line and Sinker
4. Read it and Weep