It is that glorious, magical time of year when I and readers across the globe get to choose our reading challenges for the year! LOVE! This year I am entering a couple old favorites and trying some new ones as well such as the World Reading Challenge sponsored by life is a journey. Here we go . . . why don’t you join along!!!
Books Are Life,
The idea of this reading challenge is to explore the world by books from different continents and countries. To join the challenge, select and read seven books, one book from each continent:
– North America
– South America
– Antarctica (or a book with a journey from one continent to another)
Why 7 Books? To keep it simple and playful, and leave space for extra reads that might be inspired by the challenge. Also, with 7 continents, and the world population reaching 7 billions, the 7 seems a good number for this kind of challenge.
- This challenge will run from Jan 1, 2016 – Dec 31, 2016
- Books can be any format (novel, non-fiction, poetry or story collection, anthology, as well as any phyisal format: print, ebook, audio)
- The idea of the challenge is to read books from different cultures and continents – so if ithis works better for you, you can alternatively simply pick one book from each continent
- You are welcome to count these books towards any other challenges as well
- You can start wherever you want.
- When picking a country, the idea is to also pick an author from that country. If that turns out to be difficult, try to find an expat author who lived in the country for a while.
How to find books by country
How to find books set in particular countries? And preferably books that are written by an author who is coming from the country, or who has lived in it for a while? Here are also some lists that focus on the country:
- Wikipedia: literature by country (overview)
- Goodreads: Cultural Books (with many subpages + lists)
- Guardian “best books from”.. series
- Goodreads/Places (based on book description)
- Nobel Prize in Literature
- Three Percent: a resource for international literature
- Around the world in 80 books (Goodreads group with lists)
- A blog post with more links and information: Finding books by country: helpful links + resources
- And a list of countries / continents: the continents of the world and a list of states by continent
Searching for a place in an e-reader
If you have an e-reader, it might be interesting to run a search there: e-book readers can look for a word in all e-books they have in their files, and create a neat sorted list with bookmarks.
To join the reading challenge
To join the challenge, just leave a comment with the link to your blog.
There also is a 7 continents / 7 books facebook group, to post review links, or just the cover or title of a book you enjoyed, or other related news and links – it’s open to everyone who is interested in global reads.
Looking forward to this different kind of journey around the world!